Thursday, September 29, 2011

An introduction, and archives collections information

BUMED 09-7980-44
BUMED 09-7980-44 "101 Airborne." Vietnam photos - unidentified.


The US Navy's Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) Office of Medical History has some pretty substantial collections of documents and photographs (and books and artifacts) that they've hired me to physically arrange and intellectually describe so they can be used for research. I'm assisted in this by a part-time contract archivist who'll hopefully make an appearance here as well. For those who don't know me, I was in charge of the National Museum of Health & Medicine's archives for 22 1/2 years, where I set up the Repository for Bottled Monsters blog, and the Otis Archives Flickr site. While there, with the help of Andre "Mr. Grog," I had thousands of the Historical Office's photographs scanned. Over 100 of these are on the Museum's Flickr site and can be downloaded and used now, but we hope to get all of them online for use... somehow.

As I describe collections, I'll be posting the information about them here as a stopgap measure. I'll be working towards a full-blown Guide to the Collections, individual finding aids, and also a searchable database that will hopefully all be online. If you're interested in doing research, we're open by appointment.



Michael Rhode
Archivist / Curator
US Navy BUMED Office of Medical History
202-762-3813
michael.rhode@med.navy.mil

No comments:

Post a Comment